The Tuolumne County Association of REALTORS® was formed and chartered on May 8, 1956 as the Board of REALTORS® of Tuolumne County, b y the National Association of Real Estate Boards (now the National Association of REALTORS®). There were five brokers and 4 salesmen at the inception. Virgil Gunter was the first President.
The Board changed its name to the Tuolumne County Board of REALTORS ® in 1976 and then to the Tuolumne County Association of REALTORS ® in 1990. 1980 saw peak membership at 334 REALTORS ® . At present the total is 260.
The longest tenure of a REALTOR ® in our Association is 52 years. Mr. Ray Rodriguez of Tuolumne County Realty is the oldest, active dues paying member. Mr. Rodriguez was one of the original members at the Associations inception in 1956.
When TCAR was formed, it had no association offices, but held meetings at local restaurants. The records were kept at a local bookkeeping office. In the late 70’s the Association made its office behind where the current Heritage Dry cleaners is, then on August 25, 1980 they purchased the current location and moved there sometime in the early 80’s. In 1995 the current building was extensively remodeled and a new conference center was added.